As the largest New England town north of Boston, Manchester, NH is also what we call the “Center of the Universe” when it comes to seeing all that New England has to offer. Because Manchester is located at the intersection of all the major thoroughfares leading into northern New England, trips can be made quickly on the Interstate system or more leisurely via local highways and roads. Whether you’re looking for great antique shops, museums, historic sites, beautiful scenery, or just exploring, Ash Street Inn, our bed and breakfast in Manchester, New Hampshire, makes a great jumping-off point when visiting New England.
Things To Do
Manchester NH Area Information
- Currier Museum of Art and Zimmerman House – The Currier is an internationally renowned museum featuring European & American paintings, decorative arts, photographs, and sculpture. The Currier also owns the Zimmerman House, the only Frank Lloyd Wright designed residence in New England open to the public. Located 1 block from the Inn.
- Millyard Museum – Step back 11,000 years at the Millyard Museum and learn about Manchester, the Native Americans who fished the Amoskeag Falls, Revolutionary War hero John Stark, and the immigrants who worked in the world’s largest textile mill. Located less than a mile from the Inn.
- See Science Center – The home of the Millyard Lego Project. The LEGO® Millyard Project is the largest permanent LEGO® installation at minifigure scale in the world. The project represents Manchester’s Amoskeag Millyard as it might have looked circa 1900. Located in the Millyard, less than a mile from the inn.
- America’s Credit Union Museum – America’s Credit Union Museum was once home to the nation’s first credit union, opening its doors in 1908 to mill workers seeking the American dream in Manchester. Located approx. 1 mile from the inn.
- Scouting Museum – The Scouting Museum is recognized internationally as one of the finest collections of Scouting memorabilia including items from Lord Robert Baden-Powel and a patch carried to the moon by Alan Shepard. Located approx. 10 minutes from the inn.
- Museum of New Hampshire History – Let New Hampshire’s only statewide history museum take you back in time, enrich your imagination, and give you an understanding of New Hampshire today. Located in Concord just 20 minutes from the inn.
- American Independence Museum – the museum, sitting atop a hill overlooking downtown Exeter, NH and the Squamscott River, offers a fascinating glimpse of America’s early days, during the Revolutionary War. Located approx. 20 minutes from the inn.
- Wright Museum – Travel back in time to 1939-1945 America. This museum showcases the enterprising spirit of America as everyone rallied to the call to arms during WW II. Located approx. 1 hour from the inn.
- Canterbury Shaker Village – Discover the Shaker traditions in the village, a cluster of 23 buildings where the Shakers created a legacy of architecture, furniture, crafts, and song. Located approx. 40 minutes from the inn.
- Christa McAuliffe Planetarium – A living memorial that combines Christa McAuliffe’s dream of traveling through space with her dedication to teaching and her belief that everyone should have the opportunity to “reach for the stars.” Located 20 minutes from the inn.
Manchester has no shortage of theaters and event venues. Within a mile from the inn there is a beautiful historic theater, a wonderful community theater and an arena with many A-list performers.Read More...
- Palace Theatre – An 850-seat historic theatre located in downtown Manchester. The Palace Theatre truly is “where the arts come alive”. Located less than a mile from the inn.
- Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) Arena – The arena is Manchester’s premier sports and entertainment facility. Located less than a mile from the inn.
- Majestic Theatre – A full-time non-profit community theatre that produces 15 plays / musicals / dinner theatres each year for, and by, community members of all ages. Performances are held at various venues in the Manchester Area
- Capitol Center for the Arts – Concord is home to this newly renovated performing arts center. A wide variety of shows await you. Located approx. 20 minutes from the inn.
- Tupelo Music Hall in Derry is only a 25-min drive from the inn.
- Northeast Delta Dental Stadium, the home of the NH Fisher Cats – A Double-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. Enjoy a game in the stadium situated along the Merrimack River. Located approx. 1 mile from the inn.
- New Hampshire International Speedway in Loudon – Home to professional motor sports in New England. Enjoy the NASCAR events at the track located 40 minutes from the inn.
Nature and Outdoor Experiences
- Livingston Park and Dorrs Pond – This city park has athletic facilities, a swimming pool, and a beautiful 1-mile walking trail around Dorrs Pond. There is plenty of parking. The park is only 1 mile from the inn.
- Massabesic Audubon Center – The Center, with 135 acres, is open to the public from dawn to dusk year round. Miles of scenic trails for hiking, snowshoeing, biking and skiing. Located approx. 6 miles from the inn.
- Hot Air Ballooning- Come share the experience of being suspended in air, surrounded by a wicker & leather gondola drifting over the picturesque countryside. Located approx. 20 minutes from the inn.
- Charmingfare Farm – Visit the farm, check out the petting zoo, observe the wildlife, visit the barn, and take a sleigh/hay ride. Lots to do and it’s fun for all ages. Located approx. 25 minutes from the inn.
- Coppal House Farm – located in Lee, about 30 min from the inn, they have beautiful sunflower fields in summer and a wonderful corn-maze in fall and sleigh rides in winter; don’t forget to take home their award-winning sunflower oil, produced right there on the farm.
- Bedrock Gardens – is an emerging public garden that integrates unusual botanical specimens and unique sculpture into an inspiring landscape journey, it is located in Lee, about 30 min from the inn.
Chocolates and Libations
- Dancing Lion Chocolate – an award-winning master chocolatier right here in downtown Manchester!
- Jewell Towne Vineyards – New Hampshire’s oldest winery producing premium wines from New Hampshire grapes. Located approx. 30 minutes from the inn.
- LaBelle Winery – an award-winning winery in Amherst, 9 miles from the inn, offers daily wine tastings.
- Flag Hill Distillery – the oldest distillery in New Hampshire, is located in Lee, about 30 min from the inn.
- Djinn Spirits – a family-owned distillery in Nashua, about 25 min from the inn with distillery tours on weekends.
- Budweiser Brewery – The Anheuser-Busch brewery tours take you on a walk through history where you can watch the “King of Beers” in the making and visit the Budweiser Clydesdales. A photo-op with these gentle giants is available every first Saturday each month. Located just 15 minutes from the inn.
Colleges and Universities
- New Hampshire Institute of Art – The only nationally accredited independent college of art in New Hampshire. Galleries are located in the Main Building, the Amherst Street Building and Fuller Hall. Located less than 1 mile from the inn.
- Southern New Hampshire University – SNHU’s 300-acre campus in Manchester, NH is home to over 3,000 students, the campus is 3 miles from the inn.
- St Anselm College – Saint Anselm College is a Benedictine, liberal arts college in Goffstown, New Hampshire. The College is about 6 miles from the inn.
- UNH Manchester – is the urban campus of the University of New Hampshire and was established in 1985 as the sixth college of the University of New Hampshire.
- Phillips Exeter Academy – in Exeter NH, only a 30-min drive from the inn.
Shopping and Antiques
Shopping in New Hampshire is a tax-free experience and Premium Outlets are only 15 min away from our inn. New Hampshire is also known for its numerous antique dealers, and the Innkeepers are happy to provide you with information on where to go antiquing.